View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

My car has been dyno-tuned using Uprev Osiris. When you get a tune, you can have extra maps loaded to your ECU. In addition to my performance map (aka regular driving map), I have a valet map and an anti-theft map. (There are actually 5 slots, so you can have a max of 5 maps. Some people have maps for low-octane fuel that retards the timing, for example.) The maps work by modifying the rev limit and/or speed limiter. For my valet map, I have the revs limited to 3000 rpm, and for my anti-theft map, I have it limited to 1000 rpm. (You can set them to whatever you want when you build the maps.) So whenever I park my car out in public, I load the anti-theft map and have the peace of mind of knowing that even if someone managed to hotwire my car, or somehow got a hold of my fob or whatever, they can start the engine, but they're not going anywhere (unless they happen to know I have Uprev and also know how to switch the maps, which is unlikely for some douchebag who makes his living by stealing cars). With the valet map loaded, one can drive the car at a decent enough pace to park it, but they'll be SOL if they try to rev the car up to do a burnout or go out on the street to do hard acceleration runs.

With Uprev, you switch between maps using your cruise control buttons. You hold down the Coast/Set toggle switch, and tap the Cancel button the number of times corresponding to the map slot you want to load, then release the toggle switch. For example, let's say you want to load the map that's in slot 3 (there's a max of 5 slots, as previously mentioned). You hold down the toggle, tap the cancel button 3 times, then release the toggle. The green cruise control light (the one that lights up when you turn your cc on) will flash 3 times to confirm that you've loaded in map 3. That's it, you're done. You have to remember which map is in which slot, of course. And it's advisable to not switch maps while the car is in motion. Like if you're cruising along at 3000 rpm and load the anti-theft map, that would be bad.

The other tuning tool available for our cars is the Cobb AP. It also provides all these extra maps, but with the Cobb AP, you'd have to connect the AP device up to your OBDII port and load the desired map via the device. Cobb AP is a handheld device that stores all your maps, does the data logging, etc. With Uprev, you use your laptop to do the tuning and data logging, etc., then you upload all your maps into the memory slots and they're always available without having to reconnect your laptop or any device.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote