Thread: My 2010 Z
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
Slynky
Track Member

Drives: 2010 Red 370Z T/S/N
Slynky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudafunk View Post
My question from this - LOOKING BACK - do you feel you would have been going crazy in a house worth $200k instead of $220k - and thereby been in a position to afford an extra $20k on your car. I'd put my money on YES which is why I'm so into buying a 'better' car first. But I'm open to change my thinking and would love to understand why someone would say NO to this.
Well, without figuring it out, the difference in a house payment for $200K -vs- $220K will mean a difference of about $120 per month. If this amount of extra money would mean the difference between you getting a nice car or a REALLY nice car, then I guess you have your answer.

What Micas was wanting you to be concerned about was the amount of money one puts forth in total when going into debt for a huge chunk of cash. It's, in reality, wasted money. So, as long as you're trying to determine, for instance, if buying a cheaper house will allow you to have a more expensive car, you should also consider if paying/wasting (for example) $3,000 in interest over the life of the loan is worth having it NOW instead of saving up for it.

That's the sort of thought I weighed when considering purchasing a Z for myself... if paying/wasting (for example) $500 is worth having a 2010 model instead of waiting for the 2011 model and having just about all the cash I need.

Hope this answers your question.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Slynky is offline   Reply With Quote