View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
ScottOmatic
Base Member

Drives: '88 Porsche 928 S4
ScottOmatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Hmm. I was going to suggest a square set up as well, but really in order to keep tire size and compound a constant more than to play with relative grip -- a lot of that will depend on alignment settings and weight distribution/suspension more than anything.

I guess you could buy ultra sticky fronts relative to the rears, but that sounds like it will just make the car unpredictable...
GT Porsche 911 track cars often run harder rear compounds due to all the weight being over the rear axle but of course, those are engineered to work correctly from the tire supplier and the rest of the setup is dialed in in every other aspect along with track time.

I think running 2 different street tires with different compounds and different tread patterns that are meant and have only been tested running on all 4 corners is hairy at best.

Even if the effect is generally positive in the dry it could be a nightmare in the wet.

As you touched on, the other idea I have had was upgrading the rear sway-bar and leaving the front alone. This would be a pretty cheap upgrade and I could always add the front later when getting new springs/struts or Coil-Overs, which I am sure would take out most of the understeer with default tire sizes.

The reason I don't want to just spend the money on a full suspension setup right now is that I am trying to pay off my 2014 FJ Cruiser early (that currently takes precedence when funneling money into cars) and to be honest, I am slightly worried I will get the bug for a different sports car in a few years and know it will be hard to get my money back in upgrades (Currently under 23,000 miles on my Z so everything but the tires are still pretty fresh).

Maybe I will get some new suspension components in awhile, maybe I will eventually get a tune, but until I make that decision I am going with the bang for the buck approach.

I should say I already bit the bullet on a cat-back exhaust a year ago, I'm sorry but the default exhaust setup just had to go!
ScottOmatic is offline   Reply With Quote