View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
SwissCheese
Track Member

Drives: 2012 370Z NISMO
SwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond reputeSwissCheese has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removed Dealer Decal after a Year. Possible Faded Paint?

So today, I finally got around to removing the Carmax decal on my car. It's been on the car for a good 1 - 1.5 years.

My Process:
After cleaning the area with soapy water and drying it, I used a hair dryer to warm up the decal and its adhesive. Since the logo was made up of several small "decals", I had to peel each piece individually. It wasn't difficult, just annoying.

After removing the decal, I used some Goo Gone and a micro-fiber towel to rub off the remaining adhesive. After some rubbing, I washed the area again with some soapy water. I repeated this process with the Goo Gone two more times before all the adhesive was gone.

Photos:
Here are some pics of the area with the decal from before, during, and after the removal process.

Before:

During (decal removed, lots of adhesive remaining):

After:

Question - Faded Paint?
If you look hard enough at the third photo, you can see the outline from where the decal used to be. I'm pretty confident that I removed all of the adhesive, which leads me to believe that it is due to faded paint. As I mentioned above, the decal has been on the car for 1 - 1.5 years. My car spends most of its time in my garage or in the covered parking ramp at work (so, not in direct sunlight).

Is there anything I can do to make the "faded" paint less noticeable?
Current Ride: 2012 Nissan 370Z NISMO #0389
Mods: Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes and TDX Exhaust with 18" Resonators (#1054), K&N Drop-Ins, GTR Start Button
SwissCheese is offline   Reply With Quote