View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Benihana
Base Member

Drives: 14 MB Nismo #545
Benihana is on a distinguished road
Default Stillen Brake Cooling Kit Install

Instead of cutting the OEM shields I went ahead and purchased the Stillen Brake Cooling Kit from Z1 as I think the angled aperture of the Stillen kit shield is optimal. Not only is it a little cheaper, the hoses are supposedly longer and I didn't have to pay for the non-nismo brackets I could not use.

What we wound up doing was using a set of NACA ducts from Racer Parts Wholesale. NACA Ducts - Small, Black NACA Duct
We trimmed them down to fit in the sides of the Nismo upper opening and attached to the aluminum bumper member with a custom aluminum circular bracket.

I also used a set of the 3 to 2 inch adaptors as getting a 3 inch hose snaked through the chassis would certainly be an issue, as others have noted.
NACA Ducts - 3 to 2 NACA Duct Adapter

I did not use the suggested routing procedure from Stillen nor the Moto IQ Blog but routed it a different way with less cutting and the least amount of sharp bends possible. Additionally, we added a light spring between the shock tube and the flexible duct that sucks the tube up and in when turning lock to lock to minimize the possibility of tire rub down the road.

All in all I think it came out great. The ducts are minimally visible and should take in a good amount of high pressure air. Removing the nose for future work only requires the removal of one easily accessible screw per side.

Sorry for the phone pics, I forgot the real camera. I can supply more detailed pics later if anyone is interested.