View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
LAVA
Track Member

Drives: AWD Q50S_3.7
LAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond reputeLAVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN View Post
Dude. You in no way need that size of an engine. Or that much weight. My kart weighs about 175 lbs. and with a 125cc (26 hp) engine will do 75. Shifter karts with a 250cc moto engine (42 hp) are pretty much uncontrollable. 0-60 in less than 2 seconds.

The engine is the easy part. The chassis / ackerman, etc. is the hard part. Becasue a kart is direct drive, solid axle, the chassis has to be able to twist to lift the inside rear wheel off the ground to turn it. If not, you're stuck going straight (or will overload / bog the engine with every turn).
The key word there is "need"... of course a kart doesn't need 120+ HP but ohhh the fun!! I'm guessing you haven't heard of the gixxer kart.
Click me

It's becoming increasingly popular to throw sportbike motors in anything and everything. Check this out.