View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
It depends on the oil. Amsoil usually gets to that point faster when the oil is cooler. Just a thought. ...
Yeah. Probably varies a bit between types/brands and what engine they are used in.

My guess is that the boiling point of water has more to do with the experts' figures than shear strength or other parameter (most graphs aren't very steep once the oil gets over 180F or so). I've seen 212F/100C used more than once. BPoW may just be a convenient reference point. Maybe it's to make sure any water gets boiled off. All I know is what I read on the Intertubes.