View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #63 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

Sunday I checked some vacuum lines. The OEM hoses clamped near the throttle body was easy to twist and pull off, so I added zip ties. The brake booster hose was also a bit loose, so I switched to a screw clamp. I also went ahead and ordered a Z1 brake booster hose. Idle surge was a bit better, but not entirely. At least it's not stuck at 1200 RPM at times or throwing a code.

Last night I grabbed TB cleaner and sprayed around the lines. When I sprayed one side of the intake plenum the engine started stalling. In a span of 3 hours I quickly loosened the pipes, throttles, and removed the intake plenum for inspection. The gasket wasn't even dislodged or deformed. There was a little bit of oil collecting, which was from 25 miles before I installed the catch cans. Nothing seem seeped out of the gasket. At this point I may have messed up torquing the plenum.

It was suggested that the gasket must installed dry with no lubrication despite recalling some sort of jelly (petroleum or silicone) in the grooves before maintenance work (tech who installed my kit must have used it). Anyhow, I washed it and wiped the surfaces clean. Today I spent another 3 hours carefully seating the gasket and intake plenum, hand tightened the bolts in the correct order, and then set the torque wrench at 5 lbs. I wasn't confident and was afraid of over torquing. One of the standoffs in the plenum was loose from the beginning, but it didn't have any major effects. All but #1 bolt seem to hit the torque limit, but I didn't want to push my luck.

After carefully tightening all of the bolts, I plugged the battery in and did all of the relearn process. Engine would still stall if I sprayed the same area. Then I continued carefully tightening the bolts near 8 lbs. Overall I may have spent more time torquing the bolts than I did Saturday.

Only once after startup it would briefly rise to 1200 RPM, but falls back to 600-650 RPM. After awhile it would idle hunt around 700-800 RPM. With the A/C running, idle hovers at 900 RPM. I took it for an easy test drive and freeway driving. Throttle response was better, though it was nice and cool out. It was eager to start boosting. At the light it would still idle hunt. So far no codes. Surging isn't too extreme, but quite annoying. I drove home and tightened up the bolts a bit more and called it a night.