View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
JDM-JUNKIE
Base Member

Drives: Past:NSX, S15, G35TT
JDM-JUNKIE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
That's not surprising, LG Motorsports has billet aluminum "drop spindles" for Corvette C6 and the set is priced at thousands of dollars. In a spindle or a hub carrier made of a massive billet, most of the aluminum is "wasted"; plus the amortization is in a very low production number, driving the cost even higher.
Thanks for adding that info.
The C6 Corvette drop spindles would have been totally off my radar. It looks like a pair of these LG C6 spindles on their own run $1,420- much more reasonable than our $3,000+ spindles.

I'm personally more familiar with additive manufacturing from my studies, but I do know that with subtractive manufacturing, like milling, the main cost huddle is still the 3D modeling and not so much the dimensions of the piece (within reason). The difference in pricing from these manufactures is further leading me to the conclusion the CFR kit is priced too high. Also I'd like to point out that any "wasted" aluminum milled away from the process does get collected and recycled. But as it's a common practice to reduce costs and you put it in quotes I'm sure you knew this already. It may benefit somebody though.

Your argument for the low production effecting costs is valid, I'm just curious as too why other CNC projects from Voodoo13 I assume to be low production, like the JDM S-15/ R34 RWD front tension rods I mentioned above, are not also sky high in price?

Last edited by JDM-JUNKIE; 06-11-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Typo
JDM-JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote