View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Bigd4mcc
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z
Bigd4mcc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Oh, there's a few...

1. The aptly nick-named "demon bolts", as another member noted.

2. Unforgiving rasp and rattle on decel (if unresonated TP's are used).

3. The potential for a CEL if the ECU detects too much similarity in voltage changes between primary and secondary O2's.

4. Passing emissions, if that's a thing in your state; (NB: #3 and #4 are both possible problems even with HFC's, and resonated HFC's are advised as well...)

5. Possible fuel odors (probably more for those running TP's untuned...)

6. A tune is not "required" but is highly advisable. Pulling the cats makes for significant differences in flow and also means less heat at the head, so you can dial in more timing -- the OEM cats are arguably the greatest bottleneck on the car, and swapping the cats out for either HFC's or TP's is a high bang-for-the-buck mod in terms of power gain.

Nothing insurmountable, but not quite as easy as just swapping out the cat back and calling it a day.
Yeah I was doing a little research on all the issues with hfc and test pipes resonated and non resonated. I wanted to do my own set up with 2.5 inch all the way back with x pipe and about 18 inch resonators in the midpipe area with top speed axle back exhaust. I'm thinking about testing that out to see how it sounds, and then I'm going with the obvious tune, uprev