Thread: CJM Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #93 (permalink)
jrb55gh
Base Member

Drives: '13 370z black 7AT
jrb55gh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
I had considered extending out a little bit for the purpose of promoting the outside oil to use the baffles rather than the top, due to wondering if this might work better for the oil pickup.

What if instead of extending the horizontal plate out to the sides more, we had it take a 90 degree turn upward for that 0.75"? Than perhaps some small openings at the base of it to allow oil in the middle against this new vertical wall a place to pass-through to underneath the plate?

What are your thoughts on that?
I am guessing that there may be as much as 2 quarts of oil trapped in the upper part of the engine at 7500 rpm. That makes the level of oil in the pan lower than when the engine is at low rpm. I haven’t seen inside a VQ37, but if it doesn’t have an oil scraper pan under the crankshaft, the vertical baffle with the small openings you suggested may be above the surface of the oil and might actually help recover some of the oil spinning with the crankshaft. So maybe the vertical portion of the baffle should be taller than .75” and maybe 1.25”. But if we are catching windage from the spinning crank, the vertical baffle may need support. You’ve been inside the engine. Does this concept make sense?
jrb55gh is offline   Reply With Quote