View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #834 (permalink)
VinceThe1
Base Member

Drives: '12 Z34 SR 6MT T/S/N
VinceThe1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hate to say it. BUT you have no concept on how some things are done. The company I used to work for. Did this stuff all the time on small and large equipment like steam turbines and gas turbines, and rotating equipment. Anywhere from and couple of lbs to 200,000+ lbs. Working with tolerances of ".0002, and balancing within a few in/oz. Doing wheels is child's play.
I hate to say this too...but I don't think you realize that yes, even though this is possible with millions of dollars of equipment and someone that knows how to use it correctly, this WILL not be the case when someone gives their wheels for someone to widen at a local shop...or even shipping them somewhere. These type of skills take years of experience and lots of knowledge to possess...whoever works in a shop and widens wheels, you can trust me, 99% of the time will be someone that worked at jiffy lube or discount tire that butches oil pan threads, wheels, studs, and anything else they get their hands on. I have way too much experience with those types of people, including dealership technicians, to be extremely skeptical when anyone touches my car...and that's why I do everything myself.

At any rate, there's a reason forged wheels have an advantage over cast, and certainly welded wheels, and especially someone that will overheat the aluminum while welding it, making it even more brittle. You cannot tell me a welded aluminum seam will be nearly as strong as a forged single piece of aluminum.

I do agree that pretty much anything can be done with peoper equipment and professionals...but willl you to find this level of professionalism when looking to widen your wheels? Maybe you might...but not everyone will, life isn't this perfect...not even close. That's just my opinion though
VinceThe1 is offline   Reply With Quote