View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #75 (permalink)
vtec to vvel
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13 Z
vtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbreath View Post
Hahaha. Man you've got me pinned wrong. First off I'm pretty conservative. But at the same time I'm not an "azzhole" like JC says. People make mistakes. You're comparison of a doctor amputating the wrong limb is somewhat more extreme than writing a number or a letter down mistakenly. My point with that is, a defense attorney can knowingly defend someone who has murdered someone, or robbed someone, but then get the guy off on a technicality. If your or a loved one was a victim of a crime and their defense attorney got them off of an assault charge for a typo, you would be pretty angry.

So because this officer wrote down one digit wrong out of the guys license number, he is therefore proven incompetent for the entirety of the case? Lol give me a break.

I understand the calibration of the equipment. I'm just saying that you shouldn't bank on that because officers know that will get the ticket thrown out, therefore they will probably take the ~5 seconds to do it.
I'm confused. What does your point have to do with mine? That I would be angry because the OP was speeding?

The point of my analogy of wrong amputation vs speeding is the principle of attention to detail, and not so much of the level/degree of severity between the two. Both require specific attention to detail. If the leo writes inaccurate information on a citation, how much credibility do you think s/he will have in court? A decent lawyer can likely get a speeding ticket dismissed without any typos/inaccuracies, thus I'm pretty sure that a decent lawyer could get an inaccurate ticket dismissed, under what you stated as a "technicality", which btw you just proved my point to be valid (i.e. getting off on a technicality), after calling it "garbage".

And yes, all because one letter/number/character is off, a lawyer could use that and possibly get the ticket dismissed, as you have stated, on a technicality.

Sure, officers know to calibrate their equipment, as they are trained to do so. Officers are humans as well and can get complacent, and most importantly, as you also have stated, humans (which includes leo's) can make mistakes.