View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
RayMaN
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z BK M6
RayMaN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubya View Post
Home depot usually carries plenty of black plasti dip. Otherwise, you can find it at countless places via the internet (Amazon for example).

The amount of time it lasts depends on driving conditions and luck (i.e., how much crap hits your wheels). I dipped my winter wheels and they only have a few small tears in them from Dec-March. I dipped my sport wheels and have had them on since March and they've gotten a few tiny tears in them. Some of that is because I had to drive on a road being resurfaced.

Overall, it holds up pretty well assuming you apply it correctly. By correctly I mean 4-6 coats, starting with a light first coat (50% coverage, you should still be able to see the wheel underneath). This is after you've VERY thoroughly cleaned the wheels.

I don't feel confident enough to say "it'll last forever," but it should last a few years pretty easily. You may (you will) have to respray a coat on the wheels after a while to keep them maintained (depending on how picky you are about the inevitable small tears that will happen).

If you decide to use plasti dip, I'll offer you some advice I learned the hard way..

1. Shake the cans very well (5-10 minutes)
2. Warm the cans up (I placed mine in hot water)
3. Shake the cans even more
4. A spray can handle/grip is nice to have.

If you don't do the first 3, you run the chance of having very textured or thick/gloppy/chunky plasti dip.

Head over to youtube and look at the countless videos on people dipping wheels if you want to see it in action.
Awesome!! Thank you for the recommendations.. Will definitely do that.
RayMaN is offline   Reply With Quote