Thread: Clutch Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
RanRich
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 PG Sport M6
RanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond reputeRanRich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clutch Dilemma

So I have an issue regarding the clutch/transmission.

First I'll list the issues:
- Occasional shudder (only common denominator is cold start in the morning) that will start off very apparent and violent but lessen over the course of the day. Has happened 3x so far, roughly once a week.

- When depressed, clutch makes no noise. When foot is pulled off clutch quickly (sitting in neutral), it almost makes a snapping sound when fully disengaged and then you can hear a rotational and fluttering-type noise like something is loose.

- Moving at low speeds (1st and 2nd gear) with little or no throttle input, there is a whining noise from the trans. Unsure if this is just common trans noise or not.

- Pedal feel is lighter than a friend's Z, albeit he is using GTR clutch fluid (unsure how much this plays part).

Now I've read all the threads regarding "It's just a noisy transmission" and "do I need to replace my clutch" without finding an answer to this dilemma. The clutch is NOT slipping. I was told also that the VHR's dual-mass flywheel can be a problem child but want to know which of these roads I should take.

*My factory powertrain warranty ran out in late March, and the CSC failed/was replaced in January. Hesitant to take to dealer because the clutch is a wear item and would be far more expensive to replace through them*

A) Do I take it to a reputable shop and have them tear it down and pinpoint the issue and use parts from their warehouse suppliers to fix the issue?

B) If I've given enough information and the issue is in fact the clutch assembly, what set up would you recommend for a light street/autoX application?

C) Will Redline fluid correct this issue?

The car is on the original clutch and has a clean service history. It is not certified pre-owned. 2009 with 33k miles.

Please let me know your thoughts on the best course of action, and if there are any questions that I can answer to provide more clarity.

Thanks!