View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #89 (permalink)
GeauxTigers1
Track Member

Drives: 2017 370Z Nismo
GeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwick View Post
Looks like he's making profit off the purchase. Not unheard of since it requires time and effort on his part.

Why are you buying it thru the shop? You should be able to buy and have it shipped wherever you want. Only risk there is anything that's wrong is on you to correct but Tony should make that right if anything happens.

You are definitely going to need a clutch and I doubt its included in his quote since he's so detailed with listing everything else. At his numbers and markup that's probably another $2500 installed.

The factory cooler isn't that great. You are definitely going to want an aftermarket. Especially since you live in AZ.

The install labor is high but reasonable. $250/hr for tuning seems pretty high.

If it's a good shop and you feel comfortable consider buying everything and having it shipped to them, at least the major items from FI. That should save you what appears to be at least a grand. Has this shop built and tuned a boosted VQ37VHR? If not I highly recommend looking to somebody that has done a few successful boosted tunes on this platform. It has its quirks and you don't want to be their test dummy.
Yep, that was one of my biggest concerns and why I was going with this shop. They've worked on my 09 GTM Twin Turbo, did some maintenance and tuning so they have some great experience. The Z isn't very common here, especially forced induction, but man, they had GTR's lined up, one on the lift, 3 in the parking lot, another Zr1 on a lift. So it's absolutely a legit shop. But I think you are right, he forgot the clutch AND wants to make $2k in parts. Seems a bit excessive to me to make upwards of $4500 on a turbo install.

You know, what am I even doing? FI is in Cali, do they install at their own shop? Can't go wrong with that!! Would I need to retune being a different elevation and environment? Go from nice cool air with humidity to dry 110 degree weather. LOL Might be worth it AND cheaper to have the guys that designed the kit themselves install.
GeauxTigers1 is offline   Reply With Quote