View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #285 (permalink)
RadioFlyer
Base Member

Drives: 08 G37S S/C
RadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses. Unfortunately, a video of donuts and drifts on a closed airfield doesn't sell me on the car being able to handle a day of hot lapping. I have a lot of experience building track cars, and I know what goes into building a car that can handle the heat of the track. For example, as a shakedown for the Long Beach, Speed World Challenge event a few years ago, we completed the 25hrs Of Thunderhill event. We didn't win our class, but learned a lot about what will go wrong with the car under race conditions. We ran the car for 25hrs straight under race conditions as a test. I was also an instructor at Auto Club Speedway, and used my personal car for Lead/Follows. That meant a whole day on track and tank after tank of race gas. I know what it takes to make a WRX withstand 8 hrs at the track, running to redline. The question here is, can the VQ motor handle it with a supercharger? If not, what needs to be changed to make it handle a day at the track? Shift at 6,500, run a lower psi pulley that tops out at 6psi or something like that? On a 400whp WRX, assuming you have the braking sorted, you drop the max boost a few pounds, run race gas for safety, and you're good. That leaves you with a ~350ish whp car, but the motor will take it all day long. With the VQ, I'm not so sure.

As for the tune, I understand how tunes work. I've tuned a bunch of other platforms, but just not a Z/G37. So far, since owning this car, the electrical system seems to really be taxed with so many sensors, and they commonly have a battery drain problem. That makes me worry about the general stability of this electrical system, and it supporting a tune on the engine that cuts in to the margin of error that the car was originally engineered with. Afterall, the first thing I check for before tuning a car is to make sure the battery is strong, and the electrical system is stable.

And just so you don't think I'm just speculating for the sake of being a pain, I picked up a G37 because I was interested in a Z, but the G has more grill openings for heat exchangers and duct work. It also makes a hell of a daily driver. And yes, I am very seriously considering picking up a supercharger, so please don't take my concerns as a forum troll who is just armchair quarterbacking, or whatever the phrase is. Thanks again, this is a really helpful discussion!
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote