View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zauskycop
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z, '16 Miata
Zauskycop will become famous soon enough

A Week in the Life of a One Lapper - Our Recap

It's Tuesday, and I think I can finally say that I am no longer sleep deprived. It has really taken this long to recover (though not fully) and to soak in all that has gone on during the past 8 days of The One Lap of America. I can honestly say that I'm glad no world changing events happened while I was gone, because there is a good chance I never would have known. The world you live in during the event is so centralized within a small world of your car, the hotels you wake up in, then go to sleep in, and the tracks. Between getting naps on the road (not particularly easy in the 370Z) and writing updates, along with studying tomorrow's track, you just don't have the time to see what else is going on around you.

Little did I know back in December of 2013, when my wife and I bought the 370Z, how this would all unfold. Now, realize, that officially this is HER car...I just have permission to drive it. One of the items we discussed when buying the car was driving it in the OLOA and she agreed to that. We also came to agreement that I can modify the car however I wish...as long as she didn't notice it. That opened up quite the shopping list, but also restricted it quite a bit.

The one thing that she would notice was the exhaust (she agreed it would be okay as long as it wasn't TOO loud) so I had to shop carefully with that in mind. But every modification was carefully thought out to be a bang for the buck, or a reliability item. And after putting it on was the test ride...hoping she didn't notice anything! I just prayed that there were no squeaks, creaks or groans, whining or clunking, that couldn't be covered up with the radio. Oh, I replaced that too so it was a little louder
wink emoticon

When we started the week we had looked over the entry list and had seen all of the big V8s in the class. We had confidence in our driving ability, but little confidence that our "Big Bore" V6 could overcome the horsepower deficit that, with some cars, was double ours! That lasted until the first track where, at Mid American Raceway, we got a glimpse of what was possible with the 370Z. The car performed flawlessly! The only issue we had was some brake pad deposit on the front rotors, which we changed out. It just goes to show what good and careful preparation will get you in an endurance event like this.

We studied the weak points of the 370Z...brake cooling, oil cooling a few smaller things that could go wrong on the trip. We tried to use what is a great platform, and smartly accentuate the strong points of the car...the handling. That was, in the end, the one thing we had that others had a hard time matching. Oh, don't get me wrong...there is more to do! But we feel that we have made a great start on the project.

I would like to thank my wife Marci for putting up with all my crazy modifications in the car, and letting me take her pride and joy on this adventure. Hopefully she knows that this isn't the end of this, and the car needs more work. Hopefully she won't notice!

I would like to thank my codriver Jason Cange and his fiance Connie for letting him go for a week. Jason and I have been racing together, in some form or another, for the past 15 years and this week just culminated it. He did an incredible job getting behind the wheel of an unfamiliar car and over the week picked up his pace until he was getting top finishes at the end. Not to mention his patience and latitude with putting up with ME for a week! We truly did have a great time together in the car, at the track and everywhere in between and there isn't anyone else I would have wanted to experience this with. And everyone has asked so here is the truth. Only at the end of one long commute (Pueblo to Texas) very late at night when our GPS units were arguing (his won) did we start getting a bit snippy with each other...it truly is a test of a friendship.

I would like to thank Winding Road Racing for their support during this week. Tom and Juliann were truly excited to partner in this event, and saw the possibility of the nationwide exposure, but also saw a couple of fellow SM racers going out on an adventure. I truly believe that this is what racing is truly about for me. Big events are nice and flashy, and some of them even have good racing. But the uniqueness of the OLOA, the huge variety of cars, from Nissan GTRs, to an Ariel Atom...American Muscle to American Stationwagons...everything was seen. It's the same variety and uniqueness you see when you read Winding Road Racing's online magazines, and talk to them in person. Truly wonderful people within the racing community and I thank them for the opportunity to represent them.

I would like to thank all of the fellow competitors in the OLOA. We were quickly accepted into the fold as racers, and always offered help if needed, advice if asked, and a driving partner down the road if we went fast enough! It truly is a big family and I can't wait to see all of you next year.

And of course, I would like to thank all of you, the followers of Team Blenderblaster. You made us laugh, made us think, made us push our limits until we finally were able to fulfill the promise that the 370Z had shown, and take the victory in our class in the 2015 One Lap of America.

Only 355 days left....

Tracy Ramsey
Zauskycop is offline   Reply With Quote