View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #72 (permalink)
VinceThe1
Base Member

Drives: '12 Z34 SR 6MT T/S/N
VinceThe1 is on a distinguished road

I have some base 18s laying around with the stock 225/50R18s they come with (front)...I should try putting them on the front and leaving the 325s in the rear to see if the 100mm difference would cause understeer. However, I doubt it since that's mainly based on the car's characteristics/weight distrubution/chassis than on the tires it has on. Width doesn't give you more grip, grippier tire compound does. So if you have grippy 225s in the front and not so grippy 325s (hard or impossible to find a non-sunmer tire in that size), you'll get oversteer, and if vise versa, you'll have underateer. If both front an rear are the same tire but just different size, the size difference wouldn't really affect the handling... Atleast not before a few hot laps where the narrower tires have a chance to heat up more and eventually overheat quicker, although being in the front of a RWD car wouldn't really affect them as much. This is why performance RWD cars call for a staggered fitment, so that the wider rear tires deal with the heat and wear better, while the front stay cooler and don't need to be as wide in comparison.

Last edited by VinceThe1; 05-11-2015 at 10:44 PM.
VinceThe1 is offline   Reply With Quote