View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
mattanthony23
Base Member

Drives: 2015 370Z 7AT Base
mattanthony23 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake Caliper Paint Job

Over the weekend I painted my brake calipers red using G2 brake caliper paint. The job wasn't difficult (even for someone like myself that isn't very mechanically savvy), but it is time consuming and a bit tedious.

I do not own jack stands, so unfortunately I had to do 2 wheels one day and 2 wheels on the next using a floor jack and some wheel chocks. Because of this, I had to purchase 2 kits because the paint is only good for 4-6 hours.

However, the product is very affordable ($40 on amazon) and of good quality. For those of you planning on doing this project yourselves, I would recommend a few things:

-Buy a quality paint brush (1" works well), the one provided is not good. You need one with resilient bristles because as the epoxy paint dries it gets really sticky and can pull out the bristles and make for an uneven finish

-Prepping is key; you only have 4-6 hrs to use the paint once it is mixed, so be sure to do all of your masking/taping before you mix the paint

-Follow the directions; very important to wait at least 15 minutes (I did 20), before applying a new coat. Also, give it the full 2 hours of drying before replacing your wheels, the paint at that point still feels a little sticky and can get messed up if you bump it with the wheel.

-Do at least 2 coats. After the first you will see tiny bubbles in some locations from the paint still reacting to the chemicals. A second coat will resolve that issue and the color becomes much more vibrant. I stopped at 2 coats, but I've read others that do 3.

Overall the finished product turned out great; the red is really vibrant, glossy, and evenly finished (pictures may not do it justice). I definitely recommend this product to others looking to add a nice color contrast to their wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (212.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg a.jpg (230.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (312.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (245.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (300.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (265.4 KB, 69 views)
mattanthony23 is offline   Reply With Quote