View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zauskycop
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z, '16 Miata
Zauskycop will become famous soon enough

A Week in the Life of a One Lapper - Day 7

This update will be a little different as it is Jason who is updating you. Tracy is pelting down I-65 in Indiana as I type. The veteran One Lappers are called Lap Dogs I am told. The newbies they like to call Lap Puppies and that is what I am as Tracy had already done the One Lap of America several years back and this is my first time. This event is very long and daunting with so much that needs to be learned in order to get your maximum out of it. Let me tell you...at the beginning of the week I was most definately not getting the most out of myself. Tracy was quick and making hay over the competition early and often. I was not. We have both raced together alot over the years and he knew I had the speed in me. He stayed patient and supported me where I needed it to extract that speed. A big shout out to fellow competitors Dan and Ben Schaut who look set to take 7th overall as they too have raced with us in ChumpCar and know I have speed in me. They all helped break down video and get my mind back to the state it needed to be to go fast out on track.
Well where is all of this leading? Today was a make or break day for us at the National Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green, KY. We had a 25 point lead over the 2nd place Mustang of Gas Monkey Garage. This was the last day of road course events so we were down to the wire. Strategy is very important as we have mentioned previously and today we were going for broke. Concept was to put Tracy out there first as he had run a portion of the course with the Schuats in ChumpCar. This panned out tremendously as he was lightning fast out there. He took 13th overall and 1st in class by 20 seconds. As luck would have it our main rival made a large set of black skidmarks as he misjudged the fast chicane at the end of the main straight and made several pirouttes. He still managed to get 3rd place but with our win the lead had extended to 35 points. Now the spolight was being shined brightly in my direction. So far I haven't been able to gain our team points in the manner I would like and we are running short on opportunites to pull this off. I took the video from Tracy's run and poured over it intently then sat down with Tracy and discussed all of the finer aspects of the braking points, turn-ins and throttle applications. As the temperature clibed to 89 degrees so too did my anxiousness. Time to legitimize my invite to join this event. With all of my class competition having run the course in the morning I had to come up big. On the recon lap I worried the C6 Z06 ahead of me enough to get a pass by before the start. That was a boost. I launched with the intent to put the 3 fastest laps I had even run out on that track. Let me tell you those 3 laps were some curb jumping tire squealing vehicle pounding enjoyment. Once I got back into the paddock area Tracy greated me with the news that I had narrowly beat the 2nd place Gas Monkey Garage Mustang by 1 second on his stopwatch. Now it is not easy to time these gaps accurately so we had to wait forever it seemed for the official results. Drum roll please...I took first place by 1.2 seconds over the Gas Money Garage boys in 2nd. My first win in class this week. All of the work Tracy put in with me paid off. With our team picking up two wins today we increased our lead to an unsurmountable 40 points with just the Dry Skid Pad event left tomorrow. Tracy and I have secured the SSGT2 Big Bore class championship for the 2015 One Lap of America. What an event and what a way to spend the week after turning forty. It is now time to enjoy why it is called Team BlenderBlaster...fill up your cup because it's time to party.

Once again, follow Team Blenderblaster on our Facebook page, follow our Sponsor and Partner in this adventure, Winding Road Racing on Facebook, or at their own web page.
Zauskycop is offline   Reply With Quote