View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
F.I. Inc.
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2010 GT-R/2007 F-250
F.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelidat View Post
So as the title implies, this thread is for those who are familiar with and have owned boosted cars long term to impart some knowledge onto us noobs who might be considering going that route. I have friends telling me that turbos are more complicated and when there are so many parts, there's higher chances that something, even it's small will break or come loose etc. TT is a huge investment so I listed a few questions I think novices might be curious about. Please add any other thoughts or things to consider/watch out for those considering TT.

What/how much maintenance is required for TT cars?

Do little things often get loose/break, etc. that noobs would have a hard time noticing and diagnosing which would result in shop time?

Can a good kit (like Fast intentions) just be installed and not worried about other than basic maintenance for years or worry-free driving?
To follow up from our phone conversation from earlier...

With our kit routine maintenance is as follows:

Every 3,000 Miles

*Perform an oil change. If you are on E85, I recommend doing the oil change right at 2,500.
*Check all oil feed, oil drain and coolant line connections to ensure there are no leaks.
*Check vacuum line connections to make sure there are no leaks.
*Check intercooler tubing connection points to ensure the T-bolt clamps are tight and the tubes are in their perspective places.
*Check the silicone couplers to ensure they are not rubbing or have excessive wear.
*Tighten all connection points in the exhaust system. At that time, look it over to ensure there are no leaks.

Every 15,000 Miles perform all of the above and...
*Ensure all drain holes and air delivery hoses are in good working order. Make sure the heat from the engine compartment has not created a "dry rot" effect. Extremely unlikely that this would be the case!

Every 30,000 Miles perform all of the above and...
*Remove the down pipes/exhaust transition elbows to visually inspect the turbine side of the turbocharger. What you don't want to see is excessive "wet" or oil. In the event that you do, it means your seals in the CHRA (Center Housing Rotating Assembly) are starting to deteriorate and you will want to have the CHRA rebuilt.

In addition to all of the above, at each oil change, look the car over. Make sure the sway bar connections and suspension is in good working order.

At the end of the day, most of this is preventative maintenance. It's always good to air on the side of caution for peace of mind.

Thanks.
-Tony
www.fastintentions.com
"FUELED BY PASSION"
F.I. Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote