Thread: Fix rock chips
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Davey
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '15 NISMO 6MT
Davey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond repute

My car has <1000 miles and already has a couple of chips, one or two on the bumper and one on the hood. It happens.

I have a Dr Colorchip on the way as well as a couple of touch up pens to try out. Most of the lacquer stuff you buy (like the Duplicolor) can be removed safely with a cotton ball damped with rubbing alcohol - and if you get a big blob on there when you are doing your repair, you can use that same cotton ball to level it out without worrying about sandpaper. Then let it harden up again and use a little fine compound to blend it in.

You never get an invisible repair without the $300 respray but probably if you took your car to the shop every time you got a rock chip you'd never be driving it. Fix them the best you can and when you get a bunch of them, have the hood/bumper/fenders resprayed or whatever.

I have not used Dr Colorchip yet but I've heard you get good results.

I have used traditonal touch-up paint like Duplicolor many times with decent results - as in, it stands out less than the grey primer spot did, and it will prevent rust - but if you have a metallic or pearl color it rarely matches well enough to get even close to an invisible repair.

Last edited by Davey; 05-05-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote