View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
Nick M
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2009 370z
Nick M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman71 View Post
Or unless you have a hard clutch. Push up to a stage 3, 4 or 5 clutch and you wont be able to do anything but start in first gear and you will have to learn how to be super sensitive about the so called "sweet spot" of the clutch. That's to where you can shift without any jerkiness like how this thread started. Just gotta find the sweet spot on the clutch although harder to locate when you go up in stages.
I went from a stock ford ranger clutch in my truck to a SPEC stage 3 clutch in my z and was a completely different ball game. It would be like going from peewee sports to Division 1 college sports .

Although once you have a durable clutch and know how to shift entirely, then you can learn to power shift, although that would go the complete opposite direction on jerkiness than this thread started originally.
You have to be careful with aggressive, high friction clutches. You can do a number on the syncros in the Z's transmission with unnecessarily rough engaging high pressure clutches. Its entirely unnecessary in a Z that sees daily use around town, unless it sees regular track use with high heat (HPDE, etc).

From your mod list, you dont have anything that requires such a clutch w 20% plus additional torque capacity. No supercharger, no turbo etc. A stage 1, or an OEM clutch would have been fine.

I used to bracket drag race hondas, and did NASA HPDE track events with first a WRX and then a prepped Civic hatchback, and never had an instructor go over "power shifting". The last mention I heard of power shifting was in Fast and Furious 1.

I think modifications are supposed to be a package deal, and in synergy. For example I wouldnt upgrade my clutch, without first upgrading my clutch pedal to the RJM unit, and getting the Z1 transmission mount.

The RJM clutch pedal actually elimates all of the touchy-ness of the OEM Z/G clutch and makes it feel much more smooth with effortless engagement. Like most high-end manual transmissions are.