View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #498 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the maps and apps, they arent trusthworthy. Just pay attention for a couple weeks and look at the gas stations.

E85 pumps are generally yellow handle. I think that some diesel pumps have yellow too though so make sure and take a good look. They rarely advertise it, and they rarely have it on the large price per gallon sign. Only those who actually look for it would know it is there. Roughly half the gas stations that have it here, have it at some obscure pump off to the side like where an old pay phone would have been or something. Others put it right in with the other pumps, or its even in a pump that also has regular gas, but an extra pump handle for E85.

Good availability is a really relative term. Here in Chicago area, one in maybe ~20 gas stations I know to have it. Some would say that is "hard to get". I would argue.

My 370z was always a daily driver... but if I only drove it to work and back it would have maybe 20,000 miles on it rather than over 60,000. I unnecessarily rack up 10's of thousands of miles on the car purely for fun... so it would be difficult for me to make a strong argument towards an unwillingness to travel up to 10 minutes out of my way for a special gas that allows my car to be far safer at high power.

I was the first of my friends to convert. I resisted for years with the same concern. Turned out it was no big deal. Now all my friends have converted.

My car never leaves the state, so I dont worry about availability for road trips. But if road trips were a concern, I would have a second tune for lower boost and 91/93 and still use E85 locally.