View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
GSS138
Track Member

Drives: '12 370Z 6M Sport
GSS138 is a jewel in the roughGSS138 is a jewel in the roughGSS138 is a jewel in the rough

I just switched from stock VLSD to Quaiffe+SPL solid bushings+ 4.08 FD+ Nismo finned dif cover. There is no comparison between the two in terms of being able to put the power down. I can pretty much drive my car sideways now if needed. I can't really knock the VLSD, it is what it is and performs fine for street, light track use, but it is ultimately very limited and limiting to the driver that has exceeded it.

Install+parts+millions of other little gaskets shims and rings, when it is said and done you are looking at more like 5K installed for the stuff I listed above. I decided on the Quaiffe over clutch types simply because I only do road racing, and I didn't want to have to do rebuilds. It also seems to make sense that heat will not affect the torsion type like it will a clutch type as severely. If I drifted, dragged, or did autoX I might have decided on a Giken or Cusco instead. It was 5K that could not have been spent better on the car save for maybe brakes or wheels+tires imo(but I already have those).

And what Davey said above is very true, the part of the VLSD that does the coupling, is sort of like a thick Vaseline for lack of better description. Once it has been heated up and stressed so many times, it eventually just wears out altogether. When you change the fluid, you are not changing the part that is doing the work.

Last edited by GSS138; 04-28-2015 at 10:38 AM.
GSS138 is offline   Reply With Quote