Thread: Spotless Rinse
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Davey
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '15 NISMO 6MT
Davey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond repute

I had the Mr. Clean thing (still do, use it to fill my wash bucket) and I agree, the flow rate was ridiculously slow on the rinsing.

I have the DI-120 CR Spotless. Here's how the math works out for my area... Apparently our water is like 388 ppm so it's about as bad as bad gets.

1. CR Spotless claims 100 gallons at 400 ppm for my unit
2. It costs $45 for a resin refill

If I use the CR to fill my 5-gallon wash bucket plus 15 gallons of rinse water, that's 20 gallons per wash or around $9 a wash.

If I only use the CR to rinse and I was very conservative with the water, I could probably do 10 gallons per wash or about $5.

Now let's examine the alternatives... Do you know what happens when you wash a car with 388 ppm water on even a cool, sunny day? Even in the shade, you are getting streaks all over the car and anything trapped in the crevices leaves water spots/ runs all over the car.

Probably the water and soap is drying on the car as you try to rinse it off, so you wash it in sections, but every itty bitty splash of that 388 ppm hose water that you get anywhere you have already washed is leaving water spots.

Then you are going to get out a $5 detailing towel and a $10 bottle of quick detailer and go to town for about an hour or two, and I don't know about you but my time is worth money.

So you have to wash your car at the right time of day and be very careful and what you end up with is a car with no dirt but a lot of water spots you need to clean up, which takes time and effort and supplies.

So people can complain about the CR system being expensive to buy and the resin not lasting that long, but I love mine. It took a 2.5 - 3 hour hell of car washing and turned it into something enjoyable and frustration free.

Here's how it goes for me... Of course I do the wheels first if I'm doing them.

1. Fill bucket with soap & hose water
2. Hook up the CR
3. Wash the roof & rinse
4. Wash the front & hood and rinse
5. Wash the sides and rinse
6. Wash the rear and rinse
7. Clean the glass with diluted vinegar

That's it. No drying. Leave a black car in full noon sun on a 100-degree day and if you find anything on it at all, it's probably a little soap you didn't manage to rinse off. I love it.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote