View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
tim414
Base Member

Drives: Nissan
tim414 is on a distinguished road

Guys, concerning oil coolers.....I have quiet a bit of Vette experience....I can say that the air cooled oil coolers are good on the track and highway. Not for Texas city stop n go driving since they need air crossing the the fins to blow off the heat. They are POOR in the winter time. They do not allow the oil to warm to desired operating temps.

The water (Coolant-radiator) oil coolers are better all around. Even for the track in my opinion UNLESS the car is a dedicated track car-not street driven. These coolers keep the oil at operating temps year around. If your on the track and it does rise above 240 then the radiator should be increased. But, unless your driving a dedicated track car, usually you'll stop the car for a cooling off period between sessions. It's not like you running a endurance race or something of that nature.

I prefer the coolant oil coolers myself. And this comes from having owned both. The Vette (sixth gen) Z06 was first built with air oil coolers and later in the gen, it went to coolant cooled because it did not allow oil to heat in the winter months.

So, the jist here, is if your daily driving your Z Nismo, myself, I would prefer the coolant cooler. JMO.

Last edited by tim414; 04-25-2015 at 02:11 PM.
tim414 is offline   Reply With Quote