View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #5851 (permalink)
b1adesofcha0s
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: HypeTrain Choo Choo!
b1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond reputeb1adesofcha0s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCarMan View Post
Jim, I've never done the autocross thing, but I'd think it would be a fun time regardless. Don't forget that you can also do a "intro" type event to HPDE up at Summit Point. Its called a "Hyper Drive" and last time I checked it was $50.00 for half an hour, with an instructor and half an hour of class room right before.
This is correct, but I have only seen NASA offer the $50 hyperdrives. For around $250-350 (depending on the organization) you can get a full weekend HPDE at a road course like Summit Point in WV. It includes 4-6 25 min sessions on the track, with an instructor riding along, as well as classroom sessions.

I did my first and only HPDE 2 years ago and it was one of the most fun times I've had driving. Improved my driving skill as well and it was cool seeing my lap times get better over time in my recorded runs. I would highly recommend it.

I'm personally not a huge fan of autocross because it's usually like 30-40 seconds of driving and then a lot of waiting. Takes like all day and you get like 3 mins total driving time, at least that was my experience. It does cost significantly less per event (around $30-40) and doesn't require as much car prep. I prefer being on a big open road course where you can legally hit 130 mph instead of just a parking lot.
b1adesofcha0s is offline   Reply With Quote