View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator44 View Post
I recently added the AAM Twin Turbo kit to my car and am now looking into methods of combating the ever rising oil temps. Before going FI my oil temp would sit around 180' F cruising at 70-75 mph on a 60' F day. Under the same conditions oil temp now sits around 220' F.

I purchased an oil cooler kit that contains the 34 Setrab core and thermostatic plate. I had planned on placing the core behind the intercooler but in front of the radiator. However, I'm now having second thoughts on if this will even be beneficial. There is already minimal air moving into the engine bay. Using this air to pass through the intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator seems like overkill.

So those with similar setups, did you see a beneficial drop in oil temperatures? Did you mount the core between the intercooler and radiator?

AAM is working on a liquid cooled oil cooler. I have thought about selling my air cooled oil cooler and going this route.

Thoughts?
You have a boosted Z without any type of oil cooler? And you're only seeing 220? 220 doesn't concern me too much. That's not what I would consider too hot. And I would avoid a liquid cooler completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
The Oil cooler should be sandwiched between the intercooler and your radiator. A 34 row cooler will help alot! Also depending on your model and model year you will want to remove the factory cooler if it is present.

It should look like so:

IC --- Oil C --- RAD --- Engine

I have the 4.5L and two 34 row Setrabs tied together and on an 80* day my temps may see 160-180* peak...
Are you concerned about the oil not getting hot enough to boil off moisture?

To answer the OP's question, mine is between the IC and radiator, with a Spal fan on it set to turn on automatically when the oil gets over 210 or so.