View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Dwnshift: Are you running a proprietary billet crank or an off the shelf aftermarket crank that anyone can buy?
I'll let Dwnshift confirm this but I understand that Clark Steppler @ JWT spec'd up a billet crank made by Bryant Racing (Bryant Racing High Quality Custom Crankshafts | Custom Crankshafts for NHRA, NASCAR made in the USA).

I'm sure if you contact JWT they can confirm (if Dwnshift is offline for a while).

The Doran Nismo also uses Dailey dry-sump and the category rev-limit for their cars is 8750rpm - my NISMO info out of Kelly Motorsport here in AUS is the the VQ37 should be OK up to 8800rpm with good rods (Carillo etc) and ARP fasteners and a little less with a 92mm crank (8000-8200) if you are looking for race engine life of ~40 hours.

In terms of revlimits though, you also have to be careful of over-rev on downshift as I put a sequential dog-box in my race car over the Xmas break and spun a big-end bearing at the first event in the New Year because down-shifting is soooo easy now, I went one gear too many and ruined a forged crank and @ AUS$5K each, it was a painful error. I am shifting manually at present but will eventually put a paddle-shifter in the car and can then put some defensive measures in the ECU to refuse a command to down-shift if that results in an over-rev.

For another thread though - a sequential shift box is nothing short of brilliant in a race-car !!
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote