View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
G Fo12ce
Premium Member

Drives: Sold!
G Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond reputeG Fo12ce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi G Fo12ce we heat up temperatures anywhere from 100 to 1,000 degrees farenheit depending on the surrounding temperature it differs with every headlight by size, shape, and dimension.

In regards to paint protection film on the lens? Are you referring to M.I.S clear shield to prevent stone chips or the 3M material that protects the lens casing? If so, I've actually done this before on my car MIS Clear Bra with the material still on my headlights and they held up pretty good but I was using . Every material reacts differently due to the different thickness' offered. My headlights are protecting with M.I.S shield same type of material clear bra 3M uses to protect bumpers which I also have done on my widebody, fenders, and hood area. I'm sure we can work with it. We have different ways of removing the lens without baking and softening the oem glue. If possible do you know how many millimeters the film is on your headlight protection.

My thickness on my headlights are:
Approximate Applied Thickness: 0.006 inch (0.15 mm) Film
0.002 inch (0.05 mm) Adhesive
0.008 inch (0.20 mm) = Total thickness

This is normally the standard type they use to protect headlights from stone chips and spider webbing on the windshield glass but who knows you may have something more bullet proof . It's pretty tough stuff. Anything thicker is harder to apply. PM me so I can give you further details on the process to give you a full break down.
The film that was used on the lights is the same as what they used on the paint to protect from road debris. It's a Venture Sheild material (Venture Sheild is owned by 3M) and I was told the thickness is about 8.5 mil or .25mm.

I don't know much technical info about LED's but I'vd heard they are sensitive to temperature. I hear for lighting in a home environment they are fine because the temp is pretty stable, but on cars there is a big varience. I think Audi has had some problems with thiers going out although I don't know how the size or type compared to what you guys use. But they are an OEM so you'd think they have thier crap together (although VW electronics don't have the best rep lol).

How were the LED's selected on your kit, are they rated a certain way that makes them better for automotive use or for various temps? How long are they expected to last? I'm just asking because it looks good and I know I'll be interested at some point. I had LED angel eyes on my M3 for about a year and they were fine.