View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
370zHawaii
Enthusiast Member

Drives: A Starship
370zHawaii is on a distinguished road
Default Spent some coin and Layed down the D over Easter Weekend

I spent about 10 hours dynamatting and about 20 hours installing, NEX4000, Polk Components, Alpine PDX9 amp, and a ported box I found on ebay, I prefer ported over sealed, just my preference. Box is built to JL W3V3 10 inch specs. Dynamatting was well worth it, I noticed the difference immediately. I am not a pro audio installer and I took my sweet time and I am a perfectionist, don't judge me. I bought almost everything off Amazon with the exception of the box and a few miscellaneous items.

How does it sound you may wonder. Pretty F&^N Awesome!! sounds beastly, like I am in a concert. Old music sounds new again with the clarity of certain notes that I never heard before. I listen to just about everything, rock, rap, digital, urban, jungle, classic rock, dubstep, country, and reggae. I tuned it by ear and its perfect. I seriously need to invest in a bass remote knob now. (not my first car audio system, but it has been a while since I've had one over 4 years).

What I bought/installed

bulk pack of Dynamat (9 sheets and after all I put into the Z I still have two and a half sheets left over. I didn't do the floors or the roof...yet)
Dynaliner (still have quite a bit left over, going to do the roof possibly)
Dynamat Finishing Tape (must have for a clean look, even though I will never see it, I have OCD)
Alpine PDX 9
Fitted/Ported Box 1.25 cf tuned at 32 hz
Amp Install Kit
Nex4000 (loving this --removable face plate all the bells and whistles and the price was right)
Polk DB651 components ---without an amp they don't to well, with the PDX9 they are freaking awesome!!
Polk 3.5 for the rears (remember I have OCD they just need to be there)
14 gauge Speaker Wire roll,butt connectors, 4 gauge wire, ring connectors, fasteners, heat shrink zip ties etc etc
HDMI Cable iPhone/iPod Lighting charging cable
JL Audio 10 W3
Metra Dash Kit (not worth it imo)
PAC Steering wheel controller a PIA to get just right
E-Brake bypass
Esky reverse camera (great reverse camera under $20)
Power Accoustik 3F Capacitor always used a cap, just preference for me, it's ok for now...want a better one
MDF Spacers for doors

Total cost was a about $1700 for everything shipped/picked up (amazon, prime-ebay, radio shack), and it was well worth it!! (DIY if you want to save $$$, the guys at the local audio shops are great but their prices....well not so great) Plus it feels really damn good knowing I did this myself and it sounds amazing.

Be prepared to spend time doing a project like this if its your first time and by yourself like in my situation. Use gloves when dynamatting at all times if possible and the roller, for the corners and tight spacers use the wooden handle of the roller to get in there. Most of my research came from this forum so thank you guys once again! Now time to save up for some breather mods If I can do this so can you, if you are not familiar with audio, just take your time and research.

disclaimer: I have never done an audio install project like this before, but I have helped with some installs, usually pulling panels, stripping wire, and going on pizza and beer runs. Here are some pics of the madness.

and a little something extra

love these emblems/badges

Last edited by 370zHawaii; 04-10-2015 at 11:05 AM.
370zHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote