View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Allentown
Base Member

Drives: 2015 Sport Tech
Allentown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcomee View Post
I'll take your word on that one.
And mine although I had GT500 more recently so my butt dyno is a bit unfairly calibrated.

Although I will say on any given day (and almost the entire winter) a car like the Z would beat me in my GT500 as it overpowered the chassis so much it was mostly good at spinning . You have to have grade A patience and be a 5 star driver to wrangle that thing.

Mostly I would flaunt it on the freeway where I've embarrsed ererything from porche to M5 to vetts to Jags with it.

From a dead stop, I've been known to lose to Honda civics with giant wings and fart cans because it was so hard to get it to hook up.

I literally just went from one extreme type of car, to a COMPLETELY different type of performance emphasis.

The z does things on curves that absolutely would have you facing the wrong way in the Shelby.

Not saying one is better either. I spend a lot of the time on the freeway goin in a straight line so it's not like the GT500 has strengths I couldn't utilize.

I came to the conclusion a while back that 450ish hp was about the upper limit of usable power in a dd sports car and in a Ford....even that's pushing it. The chassis improvements, tires, cooling, braking, shifting and computer nanies to effectively use the power above 450hp just require a level of engineering that is beyond the reach of affordability to produce....the cars that do it well are effectively low priced super cars...and they all have serious drawbacks.

The c7 corvette is the one car I think gets in done while approaching some semblance of affordability. ..and when I find one very lightly used at a cut rate price in a few years.....it's mine. (A GM product *face Palm...I'm a risk taker I guess)

Last edited by Allentown; 04-03-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Allentown is offline   Reply With Quote