View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
NismoNY
Base Member

Drives: 2014 Nismo
NismoNY is on a distinguished road
Default Is a transmission rebuild done any differently for a sports mode manual transmission?

Hi all,

My cousin bought his 2009 sport mode 370z new and it has around 20k miles. Just last night he started getting a grind in 5th gear - he is out of warranty. I told him he should look into getting a new transmission which is around $1800. However he really wants to get his current one fixed because he's worried that a replacement will still have the same issue after some time.

So I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. Is a rebuild for a SRM transmission done any differently than a regular manual transmission? Is rebuilding a transmission one of those things that'll give future issues even if it was done right? How involved is it? Does anyone recommend any (specialty) shops he can send his transmission to that will rebuild is transmission properly. I'm worried for him that taking it a local shop will result in them using non-oem parts.

Still trying to sell him on a new unit but the rebuild route would likely save him about $800 and could be as good as new when it's done.

Thanks
NismoNY is offline   Reply With Quote