View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
G37Sam
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: RB'd G37
G37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud of
Default Running too lean?

I already have a CAI, test pipes and a true dual catback. That's a lot more flow than OEM, I am also planning on getting some long tube headers sometime soon. My fear is that my engine might start running too lean which from what I read, know isn't good (can cause detonation??).

Quote:
A lean fuel mixture, more air than fuel in the combustion charge, is another known detonation culprit. The lean mixture burns hotter and absorbs less heat in the process, hence EGTs rise when the mix goes lean and adding fuel drops temps. This heat can rise to where the mixture starts burning out of sequence with timing events and bam you have detonation.
How lean can I go before I start getting worried? Do I NEED a tune? I'm staying away from that for now as the only solution out there for me to get a tune would be to get chipped or get a standalone (not going to happen anytime soon).

I do plan on getting a few dyno pulls once the headers are in to get exact AF numbers

Your input is muchos appreciated

Cheers,