View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #105 (permalink)
Firebase99
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 3.8 Gen Coupe GT
Firebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk370 View Post
The Z32 TT was a $60K car in 1990 dollars. It jumped 2 steps (in terms of price, image, performance) above the Z31. I think the Z32 TT merited the price jump. It was a competitor to the C4 Vette back then. The Z32, Vette, and even the M3 for that generation were all nearly the same price.

The Z33 was a regression because the tail end of the Z32's run showed dwindling sales numbers (the Japanese yen was too strong relative to the dollar; sports cars were out of favor; SUVs were the rage in the mid to late 90s).

The Z34 is an even bigger regression in regards to price. It isn't much more costly than a Z33. The Z34 is a $23,000 car in 2009 dollars when going backwards to 1990. This is what Mustangs and Camaro V8s cost brand new in the early 90s.

Now the Z35 wants to go upmarket a la the Z32. I believe the Z35 will share lots of things the Infiniti Q70 (the coupe). The 2.0 turbo and 3.0 Mercedes V6 turbo are what's going to be offered I think. It'll be a tunable car that can do 500+ hp without aftermarket turbo kits. I think people will be pleased with it...and hence it merits a $60K price.
The TT Z32 was running 911 Turbos back in the day!! Like you said, in '90's prices the car was $60K.....and it died because EXACTLY that reason. Nissan would be blind to their own history to that again. The overwhelming majority of prospective Z buyers will NOT spend 60 large on a "Nissan" (Yes, yes, GTR-way different market and the R's have had a long pedigree of being Supercars). I think itll share alot with the Q's and for that reason theyll be able to keep the cost down and still get 400+HP. Starting at $33k to a maxed platform at maybe $51K.
Firebase99 is offline   Reply With Quote