View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
RoshDawg
Track Member

Drives: '13 911 C2S
RoshDawg has a spectacular aura aboutRoshDawg has a spectacular aura about
Default Test drove E92 M3, M4, M235i and Mustang. Found my next car!

Hello all,

As you may know, I have been searching for a replacement for my Z (new job in high traffic area and must get rid of the 6MT). For awhile I was considering that I should have a 4 door car, but now is the time I can be purely impractical since I am not anticipating children for another 4 years (wife is in vet school). However accidents happen, so it needed to at least be a 2+2 for car seat in the back, but the wifey has her little SUV so it would work out.

So the cars I drove, lets start with the worst and go towards the best:

2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium with Performance Pack
I almost fell asleep behind the wheel it was so boring. I mean WOW this car will put anyone with insomnia to sleep. After about 45 seconds of test driving I asked the dealer the quickest way to make a u turn back to the dealership. The 2013 base Boxster I drove for a week last month felt sooo much faster and more exhilarating. I wouldn't touch this car with a 10 ft pole.

2015 Mustang GT Premium
Who knew 430hp could feel so slow! There was nothing eventful about this car. The auto trans was so slow, felt like the paddles were using dial up connection to communicate with the trans. There was no smile or 'oh ****' exhilaration when flooring it on a long sweeping turn. I'm sure its very capable, but it just wasn't a joyful occasion. I also don't like the oversized hood and overall ergonomics of the car, although it is a league above the last gen. I'm just personally not a fan of any Ford interiors. Even if I got an even trade on my Z, I know I would be far happier in my Z. If you are a true Z fan but want to step away from the Z I do not think this is the car for you. If you're a mustang guy then you couldn't be happier.

2015 BMW M235i xDrive
They didn't have RWD available. This car is such a treat to drive! Very tossable and entertaining. Everything about it, the sounds (you really will not be bothered by the electronic sound enhancement), the handling, oh man just everything about it. I went for an extended test drive for about 30 minutes, and it was just a hoot. If you like Z's, you will love this car. This is an evolution of what the ideal Z (with the right mods) feels like. Its sublime and cannot imagine an owner who is not satisfied, until the M2 comes out.

2015 BMW M4
Of course I would wait to buy this used, I wanted to see if I should hold off on a car purchase until more of these used ones came out. This car is great, but not all I hoped it to be. It is very capable, but some part of me feels like it is not a coherent package. Idk what to say about this car really, I need to drive it more. The sounds are interesting, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Very confidence inspiring, you never feel like you have to tame it. It is very livable and would make for a great DD, I just don't know its as special as a certain other M car...

2012 BMW M3 Competition Package
Second time test driving an M3, but first time in a coupe and with competition package. **** I love this car. It just feels so special, that V8 is hand built from God himself. You really feel like you have to tame this car, and give it a lot of respect. It does not give you a lot of confidence and is a bit of a white knuckle experience, which is why I absolutely love it. Not many cars are built like this anymore. It feels like you're horseback riding a lion, whereas the M4 feels like a stallion and the M235i is a baby stallion, the Mustang GT is a donkey and the Ecoboost is a little pony. When I test drove the M3 last time against the GLA 45 and Audi S4, only the M3 kept replaying in my head. Same thing this time around. I just cannot get it out of my head!

So now a different search begins. Finding a pristine 2012/2013 E92 M3 with competition, sound and premium package with a DCT. And boy am I excited.