Thread: Oil filter
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
^ Used is a very subjective term. It's is technically used the second you turn the ignition over.

It's not $8 for a K&N its about $14 just to be clear.

I often let my Mazdaspeed6 go two changes before changing the filter because it was a cartridge type and a PITA to change. If a piece of metal is lodged in your filter theoritically it will stay there. But more importantly if you have a piece of metal in your filter your engine is coming apart somewhere.
I would never "reuse" an oil filter. The reason is that oil becomes contaminated, hence, the reason is its lubricating properties become compromised. If the existing oil filter has contaminated oil residing in it when you change your oil, but leave it on, then you are introducing the contamination into the new oil. Yes, there will be contaminated oil within the engine oil channels, etc., but the less you leave the better for the new oil.
SoCal 370Z is offline   Reply With Quote