View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
SlowZ
Premium Member

Drives: Z
SlowZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepro View Post
DO NOT GET THE SOUTHBEND ALM FLYWHEEL or any flywheel that has the below reluctor ring design. The steel one is OK and highly recommended but there is a major design flaw with the ALM fly. Look at al the reluctor rings on the flywheels you are looking at. Also a lot of these flywheels are all the same and manufactured by aasco, all these companies do not actually make their own flywheel. Here is the ring on the Southbend steel wheel see how thick it is? YOur not going to notice a few lbs on the FY after your boosted, go with a steel wheel.

Now look at the aluminum one, it could not take the heat and torque from boost and broke:

Joepro thanks very much for your advice, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. After talking to Joe and Zspeed and Sasha, they both confirmed that an aluminum fly would be awesome for an NA car, but not so much for a car that will be producing 600whp. Joe at Zspeed recommend the 18lb steel southbend one because it's made out of 4140 billet and will be able to dissipate the heat behind the clutch disk. So I'm almost 100% I'll end up getting that one. Thanks all for your advice/help. If anyone else has any other recommendations in regards to another steel light fly that they use with their boosted setup that would be similar to the southbend one, please talk to me lol.
SlowZ is offline   Reply With Quote