Thread: DIY Intake
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
wanker
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 370Z S/T A7
wanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond reputewanker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
I'm sorry, I've got to comment again. That so many people are under the misunderstanding that any intake pipe which is not smooth must create air turbulence, which must be bad for your engine...

Without getting into aerodynamics, venturi effect, and optimal velocity equations, is a golf ball perfectly smooth? Are an airplane's wings perfectly straight? Do the factory rippled intake tubes on billions of cars create turbulence which would reduce the efficiency of said car? Is some / any air turbulence always bad? Think about why...

Sorry can't agree. Surface drag has many factors including the air temperature (i.e., density), velocity, compressibility etc. Hence, given the relatively low velocity of the air in an CAI, and the many turns of an engines CAI system, I'd still say that smooth is better.
wanker is offline   Reply With Quote