View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
AK370Z
Administrator

Drives: 09 370Z MB Sports M6
AK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need Autox tire recommendation: Hancook RS3 V2 vs. Direzza Z2 star spec

So as I'm getting ready for 2015 autox , I came to this dilemma. You know how it is with the autoxer and their tire selection.. it's pretty much one of the most important ingredients for us. I had a fantastic season and half on 285-35/19" RE-11 squares. Fantastic tire w/stiff sidewalls and grip was great (well... in lower temp; when more than 80-90 Fahrenheit, tires suffered poorer performance).

For 2015 season, I wanted to try out either Hancook Ventus RS3 v2 or the Direzza Z2 star spec. I do have Eibach front sway(stiffest) and Koni yellows now, competing in Bstreet. I do drive solo/myself only, mostly asphalt venues and ambient temp starts around 40F to 90F to 40F again (April through Nov).

After looking the Tirerack comparison, they seem to like the Direzza Z2 but I am not sure if they did dedicated "autox" like test. I spoke to them and they were saying Z2 has a better feel in slalom and quick turning (and supposedly stiffer wall). here's their comparison video/article

TireRack Testing RS3 v2 vs. Z2 Star Spec

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=197

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnfw7t3Fgzg

But in Feb 2015 SCCA magazine, SCCA did their own testing among these tires. Of course SCCA did solo type setup and testing. In their test, RS3 V2 came on top! Almost .5s second faster than Z2. Magazine does praise rs3 as very good controllable tire even when it's at the limit. Here's the comparison article:

SCCA MAG testing Comparison: http://goo.gl/muLmT2

So I pretty much have two questions:

1. Which tire should i go with?
I know RS3 is out of stock at Tirerack and wont get there till end April/early May, which makes me want to just get Z2 and call it a day! but part of me feels that RS3 is worth the wait? Jeff, Jason and few other drivers did very well with RS3 at the nationals (and my car is pretty similarly modded as Jeff), which makes me want to get RS3 only! Though I'm not sure if I'll attend nationals at Lincoln but I'm doing the Pro-Solo at NJ Met life 5/8-9. Rs3 was praised highly at scca mag too.. but Tirerack is swearing by Direzza Z2 being FASTEST! So let me know what tire i should go with. I can either wait for RS3 v2 which might get here around end April or just get Z2s now. Personal experience from autoxer would be appreciated who drove on these tires.

2. What size tire should I go with?

I am pretty set on trying out 275/35/19 square. I do have a little adjust ability with (off shelf) koni yellows. So let me know.
My Monterey Blue Z ll My Exhaust --> My Intake --> G3
Nissan's Official Response Regarding Oil Temp Issue: CLICK HERE
Need a Set of Cheap Winter wheels /Tires? Then Visit The Banner Link Below and Place Your Order. You'll Help Keep The370Z Alive.
AK370Z is offline   Reply With Quote