View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
Sure, Head unit power is fine. I can't speak of the sensitivity of the factory speakers. But I can guarantee that the lanzars are going to be higher. What that translates to for you is that they will be slightly louder than factory, which you may not notice. What you will notice is a great improvement in low frequencies, in respect to power handling, and extension (they will play sub-bass). That alone makes it worth changing the drivers.
This sounds like exactly something I would do if I don't purchase an amp when I upgrade the speakers. My question is would the base head unit be able to drive the speakers well enough to improve the audio quality? I assume they would to some extent, but I'm just wondering how noticeable it would be.

Note that I used to run a 10" sub off the head unit power using Pioneer's Front Image Enhancement feature and found it acceptable for my DD needs in my old Explorer Sport. But that was a long time ago, and I have not considered buying speakers without an amp in recent years. But I'm pretty budget conscious when it comes to upgrading interior features on the Z (I want performance before comfort). Also note that I have some real experience with lossless audio on a serious audiophile system ($25K Mark Levinson electrostatic speakers, $15K Theta processor, and $20K Krell amplifier). That's not at all what I'm looking for in my Z for precisely the reason that you have already noted - the car is not at all ideal for sound reproduction.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote