View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #523 (permalink)
onzedge
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 240Z
onzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
Saturday I am having an awful day. Domestic strife. I closed my shop early and went for a drive. Immediately a young girl (maybe 20) in the back of a stopped car, going the other direction, smiles to me and I am flattered. I smile and look away. I look back just as the light turns green and she is waving too me. Again super flattered I try smile and give a nod and drive off. This is by far a most unusual thing. When you are not happy with your girl, do not talk to other girls.

On the way I drove next to a Ferarri 430. The sound track was outstanding.
I drove to a friends slot car race and could not keep my mind on driving but on strife. I had had a huge adreneline rush earlier that wore off leaving me exhausted. I could not focus properly. After a three month series of races, all I had to do was my usual. Too bad I could not do it. After many races it all came down to 2.5 feet and I failed. Oh well.

Driving home I saw an Aston Martin Vantage just like the slot car I had used. I held it up to the driver who responded with a thumbs up. Passing the gas station on the way home had perhaps a 30 minute wait so I resolved to get gas Monday. After all I was at 4 dots. Does anybody see where this is going? After following a slow truck I had a possible open road ahead of me. With VDC swithched off I went around the hair pin turn hard to the right. While going up hill I had the stutter of fuel starvation. This had occured once before and I managed to stay on the gas until I crested the hill and the fuel returned. Well not today. On the very crest I stalled out. I rolled the car back one wheel off the road while the gas drained to the right. The car restarted but in order to get out of the dirt and gravel I would use up all the gas and it stalled out all three times. A young man came along and we pushed the car and when I hopped in to steer another fellow started helping. The car rolled down hill with multiple attempts to get her going. I just drove into a pull out and got ready to walk home.

Now I could have called the woman with whom all this strife was about, and she would have helped. I had zero intention of that. I figured I'd walk home a mile, get a can of gas, and fill the car. Bye the way, I still had 51 miles range according to the display. Instead one of the pushing fellows offered me a ride home and back. I only accepted the ride home. I can walk and not inconvieniece him any more.

So I opened up the garage fired up the XKE and put a 5 gallon can in the back and set off. This took about 10 minutes to get the Jag warmed up and properly choked.

As I pull up to the Z, the sun has now just set and rain keeps threatening with a few drops here and there. I start pouring the fuel just as a fellow car enthusiast arrives to say what a beautiful car. Then confused asks which car is mine. When I said both he needed an explanation. He and his girlfriend were taking XKE pictures and I said do you want to get in and have your picture taken together? Then they offered me a caravan service. He'd drive one of my cars while she follwed in theirs. I said sure, which car do you want to drive. He said "Of course the Jag" so with a complete stranger driving my car he followed me home. I knew it would be just fine as his girlfriend made a gesture with two hands to say thank you for letting him drive his dream car, and all ended well.

The domestic strife slowly seemed to peter out by Monday, so life is getting back on track.

Which fuel starvation solutions are available?
Wow, Carter.

The only fuel starvation solution is to not let the tank go below 1/2. -- I think.

Otherwise, this is a great read. I am glad you and the woman are back on track. I apologize as I have forgotten her name.