Thread: STS Systems
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #102 (permalink)
Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: the 2 balled club
Zsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to behold

Here is a little info from a site I found:

The exhaust gasses from the engine are directed to the turbine wheel, which takes the enthalpy (energy) of the exhaust and converts that energy into rotating energy. This motion rotates a shaft that both the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel are attached to. This spinning motion spins the compressor wheel, which then compresses the air from the intake air above atmospheric pressure, greatly increasing the volumetric efficiency beyond that of naturally-aspirated engines. The exhaust gasses either hit the turbine wheel, or are directed around the turbine wheel by wastegate. Exhaust gas directed through the wastegate is not used to spin the shaft assembly. This is done to limit the amount of power available to drive the compressor wheel, which is used to limit the boost level of the turbo.

A turbocharger is an exhaust gas driven Supercharger.

Turbo Lag is the delayed response of the engine that is due to the compressor coming up to a speed where boost levels are attained.

Now that is what I always thougt of with turbos. The heat thing might be true in that hotter air can generate more energy and the exhaust gas is hot but I think as far as turbos go I think the flow of air out the exhaust is more important and a better intake flow, which is why most turbo cars increase their exhaust size. But again Im no expert, I just go by what I have learned from having a couple of turbo cars and the forums and searches.

So the only thing I can see being a bad thing about the STS is if the extra piping does cause lag or not.