View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #4514 (permalink)
Bully
Base Member

Drives: 11 PW 370Z Sport 7AT
Bully is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPenvy View Post
the muffler "cans" are CF shells with SS ends. most people I talk to about my exhaust think its just some mufflers wrapped in a CF shell.

but as for them holding up I agree with this guy. they are pretty tough. I may not have driven in winter but I've had mine on for about 30K miles prior to removing my mufflers for straight pipes. only marks on mine so far are small chips in the clear coat from rocks. no dents, breaks, cracks, etc...
My guess is that the cans are stainless steel wrapped with the composite material which makes the thermal expansion part interesting. I'm sure they cycle tested these things. Easy test would be to just pick them up. If they were just hollow skins, I'm sure they would advertise the weight difference to help justify the $300 difference.

EDIT: Wow. They do advertise it. SS cans make the system 47lb. CF 41lb. From what I can see it looks like maybe the composite skins are just wedged over flanges extruding from each end of the SS sandwiching it. That would be a smart design because bolting it or attaching it in any rigid way would introduce compressive loads in the exhaust during warm up. Carbon fiber structures are amazing in tension and horrible in compression.

Last edited by Bully; 02-27-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Bully is offline   Reply With Quote