View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #4511 (permalink)
njobe89
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370z BS 6MT
njobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully View Post
I'm not familiar with FI's processes or actual material specs used on the CF mufflers, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. To answer your question, no CF does not deteriorate or warp in icy conditions.

To go a step further, based on the application, my guess is that these mufflers are carbon fiber reinforced ceramics. This is the same type of material used on heat shields of space vehicles. They can handle the frigid temperatures of space and the extremely high temperatures of re-entry through the atmosphere. The ceramic portion of the composite matrix prevents galvanic corrosion between the carbon fiber and stainless steel components of the exhaust. It appears that the muffler is resin coated (smooth glossy clear finish) for anyone worried about mechanical failure due to the difference in the CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) between the carbon fiber and stainless steel.
i'm definitely staying at a holiday inn next time

Stillen CBE, Stillen Gen 3, TP's, Uprev tuned - 324whp/264tq
njobe89 is offline   Reply With Quote