View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #4510 (permalink)
Bully
Base Member

Drives: 11 PW 370Z Sport 7AT
Bully is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE ESS View Post
I'm just wondering how the actual carbon fiber muffler will hold up to the snow/ice. Does CF deteriorate with those conditions? If so, I am thinking of going with the 12" resonator setup and then painting muffler black.
I'm not familiar with FI's processes or actual material specs used on the CF mufflers, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. To answer your question, no CF does not deteriorate or warp in icy conditions.

To go a step further, based on the application, my guess is that these mufflers are carbon fiber reinforced ceramics. This is the same type of material used on heat shields of space vehicles. They can handle the frigid temperatures of space and the extremely high temperatures of re-entry through the atmosphere. The ceramic portion of the composite matrix prevents galvanic corrosion between the carbon fiber and stainless steel components of the exhaust. It appears that the muffler is resin coated (smooth glossy clear finish) for anyone worried about mechanical failure due to the difference in the CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) between the carbon fiber and stainless steel.

Last edited by Bully; 02-27-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Bully is offline   Reply With Quote