View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #847 (permalink)
dmhenderson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: AWD TT 370z
dmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano13 View Post
Test pipes = tune 100%
You're changing the entire dynamics of the exhaust flow vs stock cats.
Test pipes = more fuel needed.
Also u will gain lots of power vs most likely losing power.(which was losing power after.my installs)
Believe it or not, straight/test pipes actually get better gas mileage than cats/HFCs assuming you drive the car exactly the same with both setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano13 View Post
I have FI HFC right now. But i do know i will gain more power with test pipes.
LTH would not be worth it for me. They are pretty expensive & not easy to install.
I do plan next year or so to go boost. At least that's the plan for now, for the future
Boosting these cars is not a fun exercise*. Don't do it unless you are prepared to deal with the possibility of blowing the motor (replacement ~13k installed for a long block + necessary accessories iirc but it has been a while since I checked).

Don't get me wrong, they're a blast to drive but these cars have all sorts of issues once you boost them. Don't just factor in the cost of the turbo/SC kit, make sure you factor in install, and all supporting mods like:
-Oil cooler/supplemental oil cooler
-Upgraded Diff (you will need it)
-Bigger tires
-Better brake pads and upgraded rotors (pads 100%, rotors you can live without assuming you have the sport kit).
-Gauges (not cheap at all)
-New clutch/flywheel setup with braided stainless lines and upgraded fluid. You will eat your stock clutch alive - you will not hold the top of your power band. This is even worse on automatic cars.
...and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Of the 12 months of 2014, I had my car in my possession for 4 of those. After the dust settled, the car still "ice skates" on hard launches and feels widly unsafe under WoT.
*exception to all of this is if you're doing your own work or own a shop yourself.

Edit: The other thing I should mention is that when you boost these cars, they stop behaving like the Z34 is supposed to behave. They don't feel as "sticky" as they should - think "LS swapped Miata" only not as funny.

Last edited by dmhenderson; 02-25-2015 at 03:41 PM.
dmhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote