Thread: STS Systems
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #93 (permalink)
Nixlimited
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 GT-R / 11 Prius
Nixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio11 View Post
I've been reading this post and I have always thought this would be the way to go for FI. One thing that I keep reading from you guys is that HEAT is needed to keep the turbos working at optimal performance, why do you think so? Its the speed of the air moving the turbo not the temperature of the air. Maybe better put would be that the exhaust moves the turbo, it doesn't matter how hot the exhaust is.
This statement could not be more inaccurate. Heat = energy, which increases pressure. If you remember the equation from high school chemistry, pV = nRT i.e. increased Temperature increases pressure which is forced through the turbine blades. Heat is critically important to a turbo working correctly, which is why people wrap headers, downpipes and turbos to keep heat within the exhaust system. It's also why cars that have the turbos close to the heads spool faster.

If this were the "way to go FI," you would see car manufacturers, especially at the high end, using it. Instead, you see them placing turbos as close as practical to the heads.
Nixlimited is offline   Reply With Quote